July 05, 2006
Fireworks Remains

Here I am with the remains of the fireworks.

These are the lessons learned this year:

1) Do not let someone place the mortar shell upside down, the explosion is far too close and ruins the launcher.
2) Bring a good flame. Matches, incense, or lighters don't cut it on a windy beach. Next year we are considering a road flare or a butane torch.
3) Individual rockets are a pain. The multi shell mortar launchers are the best. They shoot 25-50 bursts into the air from one fuse. The crowd is happy and it is easy on the fire team.

Some of you are a bit confused. We are vacationing in North Carolina, where fireworks are legal. Also, our dog is in California, far from the display of fireworks on the beach. We love both our pets and the law (although Michele did get a speeding ticket here).

Posted by michael at July 05, 2006 07:57 AM


How COULD you? A dog owner setting off pyrotechnics ia an abomination.
The Great Leader Kim Jong IL thanks you for helping to annihilate American imperialism!

Posted by: Otius Gojius [http://www.otigoji.com] on July 5, 2006 8:59 PM

I too set off a ton of fireworks on the 4th. Purchased them in PA (illegal to use there, but legal to sell to out of state residents - see http://www.skykingfireworks.com), used them in NY (illegal to use there, but everyone on the lake was doing it, so...yeah.)

I concur with your comments about the rockets and lighter. Rockets are fun for the early evening lead-up when you just can't wait to shoot something though. The multi-mortar cakes are expensive but easy and crowd pleasers. Roman candles aren't bad either.

I used a BBQ lighter, but the wind blew the flame out often requiring about 10 clicks to get anything lit. Later I switched to my cigar lighter, which did the job but resulted in burned fingertips.

Posted by: BillB [http://squidly.com] on July 8, 2006 6:44 AM

Smoke a big cigar..they're hot enough to light anything and won't blow out.

Posted by: Nicky [http://www.westshortstreet.com] on July 9, 2006 9:43 AM

Lighting the fuses causes a spray of gunpowder residue. It's hot and black (the way I like my women) and it coated the top of my lighter over time.

Not sure I'd want to puff on a cigar that had that crap on it.

Posted by: BillB [http://squidly.com] on July 10, 2006 6:18 AM
Post a comment