I was reading about MacWorld and the rabid fanatics there. I have pondered before this question. Now you can read my conclusion.
Is Apple a cult?
Every cult can be defined as a group having all of the following five characteristics:
1. It uses psychological coercion to recruit, indoctrinate and retain its members
2. It forms an elitist totalitarian society
3. Its founder leader is self-appointed, dogmatic, messianic, not accountable and has charisma
4. It believes 'the end justifies the means' in order to solicit funds, recruit people
5. Its wealth does not benefit its members or society
Let's run through the numbers shall we?
1) Yep, see http://www.macevangelist.com/
2) Yep, see http://cult-of-mac.utu.fi/
3) Yep, All hail Steve!
4) Yep, check with Apple legal on this one
5) Unless you own stock, Yep
Looks like a cult to me.